The month of May is all about readers on JPC Allen Writes. I’ll be discussing all kinds of bookish topics. So today I’m asking what are your favorite book genres? If you’ve visited my site very often, you know that my #1 favorite genre is mystery. But there are many subgenres under mystery. I love classic mysteries and cozy mysteries. Below are links to my reviews of some of my favorite mystery novels and short stories.
- “A Scandal in Winter” by Gillian Linscott. Classic mystery with a touch of romance.
- The Father Hunt by Rex Stout. Classic mystery.
- The Black Lizard Big Book Locked Room Mysteries, edited by Otto Penzler . Mostly classic and cozy mysteries.
- “The Long Way Down” by Edward D. Hoch. Classic mystery.
- The Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Classic mystery.
- Uncle Abner mysteries by Melville Davisson Post. Classic mystery.
- “The Three Horsemen of The Apocalypse” by G.K. Chesterton. Classic mystery.
- “Summer Job” by Amanda Witt. Country noir.
After mysteries, I like speculative fiction and humor.
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
- “The Hob” by Judith Moffet
- “The Tryouts” by Barry B. Longyear
- Over Seventy by P.G. Wodehouse
- “Crime Wave at Blandings” but P.G. Wodehouse
- Short stories by Patrick F. McManus
- Suburban Luchador by Philip Rivera
Now it’s your turn. What are you favorite book genres?